[Update 12/1/20] Finally, the semester is over. For college students, this can mean less stress, but also more free time. Celebrate the end of finals with this list of fun activities to do in Richland County! If you are home for the holidays and looking for some winter fun, read about the interesting attractions Mansfield has to offer.
- Get inspired by local and regional artwork at the Mansfield Art Center. Most exhibitions are free to the public. The Holiday Fair 2020 is an annual event you won’t want to miss –especially if you are still Christmas shopping!
- Say ‘goodbye’ to the dining hall and eat at a local restaurant. Try to make your way through the Richland County “locally legendary culinary tour” a calorie-dense smorgasbord of Richland County’s most comforting, most delicious, most loved (and sometimes most polarizing) menu items.
- Gather the family and visit Kleerview Farm, a Christmas tree farm in Northern Central Ohio. During weekends in December, Santa Clause and his reindeer visit the farm. Don’t miss the wagon rides and Santa’s Barnyard Express.
- Christmas at Kingwood is a holiday tradition for Richland County, now open through January 3, 2021. Kingwood Center Gardens guests will enjoy a new entrance to the festivities in the Garden Gateway visitor center! Enjoy delicious treats served by Buehler’s in Kingwood’s Gateway Café, buy unique gifts in the Garden & Gift Shop, and explore the Exhibit Gallery before you head out to the outdoor displays. The Community Tree Walk will continue to host trees creatively decorated by community partners. Buehler’s Snacks & Sips will be located in the Workshop featuring hot beverages, snacks, and spirits, and Kingwood Hall will be themed as “Christmas Through The Years!”
- If you aren’t traveling during the holiday break, be a tourist in your own town. Each year, thousands and thousands of visitors flock to Mansfield and Richland County, many from hundreds of miles away. Most of us locals pass by our attractions on our way to other locations. Maybe it’s time to understand why tens of thousands leave their homes to visit ours! Here’s how to explore your town like a visitor!
- Skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing are an absolute must! Mansfield’s very own winter wonderland, Snow Trails features beginner-friendly hills, challenging slopes, and always-popular glow tubing.
- Stroll through Downtown Mansfield and get in the holiday spirit! Decorated for Christmas, the heart of the city will surely make you cheery. Make sure to visit the Christmas lights in Central Park.
- The Phoenix Brewing Company hosts live entertainment every weekend. Enjoy a show and savor the flavor of locally-brewed craft beer or hit all the stops on our regional Wine & Ale Trail.
- Keep your mind sharp and learn about Richland County at the Mansfield Memorial Museum.
- Explore Malabar Farm State Park! This 900-acre farm features barn animals, produce, and even some Hollywood history! Make sure to catch a tour of Pulitzer winner Louis Bromfield’s “Big House” and ride on the farm wagons. Bonus: Malabar also has cross-country skiing.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, visit the new Axe Social Lounge in Downtown Mansfield! The facility is BYOB and outside-food friendly.
There’s plenty to do in Richland County during the holiday break. College students can find more information on all these attractions and more on destinationmansfield.com!
Blog by Destination Mansfield – Richland County Journalism Intern, Maisee Fried