The Calendar of Events is not supported by Internet Exploreryour current browser. For best viewing, please use Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.

Loading Events

This natural spring now known at Malabar Farm as the Niman Spring was familiar with the Indians for centuries. Johnny Appleseed frequently stopped here and the water was appreciated by early pioneer travelers. The spring breaks out from the deep Silurian sandstone in a small cavern in the hillside above and supplies water for the old springhouse , a residence, two stock tanks, the market stand, a watercress bed, a barn, three hog lots, and the pond from which the gardens are irrigated.

The nearby red brick 2 story Schrack residence was built in 1820 as a combination residence and stagecoach tavern. After the fear of the Indians had been broken forever at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. The fine spring decided its location on the outskirts of Newville. Then the most important settlement in the county, Newville disappeared with Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District completed the construction of Pleasant Hill Dam & Lake in 1938.

Pleasant Valley Road was once an Indian trail leading from the Ohio River to Lake Erie and later an important means of transporting wheat to ship and railroad. Spring capacity 2,000 gallons per hour with 3 degree change all year.

by Louis Bromfield 1952 (taken from the sign mounted on door at springhouse).

People today can travel the Johnny Appleseed Historic Byway along State Routes 39 and 603 and visit the spring house that stands still today along Pleasant Valley Road off State Route 603

  • There were no results found.